1. Best book of 2011?
Tete-a-tete - the biography of Beauvoir and Sartre that Hazel Rowley wrote. Well written and very insightful.
2. Worst book of 2011?
Any of the Christmas Romances - so contrived and yet so delightful to read (and repeatedly snort over).
3. Most disappointing book of 2011?
The Heir by Vita Sackville-West - foolish me expected something wonderful by someone so closely connected with Virginia Woolf. One should just read Virginia Woolf, she never disappoints, though she does often confound and discombobulate (I am thinking of The Waves, which I am still reading - possibly stuck, but I shall persevere, later...)
4. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2011?
Palo Alto by James Franco. I did not expect a book written by a mere actor (what a snob I am!) to be so dense and gripping and, quite frankly, well written.
Also Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes - very diverse range of writing styles in such a slim volume, and so intriguing!
5. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?
My Big Birkett - I don't often recommend books to people, but I did recommend this one, and The Bell Jar.
6. Best series you discovered in 2011?
7. Favourite new authors you discovered in 2011?
Mikhail Bulgakov, Hazel Rowley, James Franco (really hope he comes out with something else!)
8. Most hilarious read of 2011?
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Also, a close second, My Big Birkett by Lisa Shanahan.
9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
Ashling by Isobelle Carmody.
10. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper - which I shall go on anticipating until April 2012 because that is when it will be published!
11. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2011?
Can't decide. Let's go with All My Road Before Me because it's a plain black hardcover that in no way influence your mind's perceptions of the words within.
12. Most memorable character in 2011?
Quite honestly, Harry Potter. It's always Harry Potter.
13. Most beautifully written book in 2011?
Claudine's House by Colette.
14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?
All My Road Before Me - aka Jack's Diary. I was reading this for about two months (amongst other things).
15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?
Paradise Lost to finally finish, more like! Next year I shall (finally!) finish /i>Ulysses</i> by James Joyce, and Dante's The Divine Comedy.